Occupational therapy is a skilled treatment that helps individuals achieve independence in all facets of their lives.
At Jenkins Living Center, occupational therapy services focus on:
- Improving abilities to carry out activities of daily living such as dressing, toileting, bathing, cooking, cleaning, etc.
- Evaluating home environments for safety
- Adaptive equipment training and assistive technology
- Improving arm strength and range of motion that allows increased function with daily tasks
- Hand splinting to provide support and prevent stiffness
- Positioning in wheelchair and bed for safety
- Vision rehabilitation — Click here for details!
People of all ages experience problems that significantly affect their ability to manage their daily lives. With the help of occupational therapy, many of these individuals can achieve or regain a high level of independence. Occupational therapy helps people make the most of their abilities. When skill or strength cannot be improved or developed, occupational therapy offers creative solutions and resources for carrying out the person’s daily activities.
Skilled occupational therapy services at Jenkins Living Center are provided by:
Jody Niemann - MS, OTR/L
Jody is originally from Sioux Falls, SD and graduated from South Dakota State University with a Bachelor of Science degree and the University of South Dakota with a Master of Science degree in Occupational Therapy. Jody is a member of the American Occupational Therapy Association and the South Dakota Occupational Therapy Association where she served as President from 1998-2000. Jody has worked in skilled nursing facilities for Twenty years. Jody has specialized training fascial movement taping and the Graston Technique, instrument assisted soft tissue mobilization.
Mary El Karmassi - COTA/L
Mary graduated from Lake Area Technical Institute with an Associates of Applied Science degree in Occupational Therapist Assistant program in 2004. After graduation, she worked in skilled nursing facilities in Minnesota, and recently joined the Jenkins Living Center Therapy team in 2005 as a COTA/L. Mary is currently a member of the South Dakota Occupational Therapy Association and the American Occupational Therapy Association.